Your Home Page is the most important page of your website. It is the face of your company, which all your visitors will view and make a decision; either staying to find out more or bouncing, almost immediately. You only have a few seconds to get your objectives across to your viewers and an Effective Home Page will do just that. A good home page is like the blueprint to every successful website. A poor home page could destroy your site causing you to lose potential clients/users. To make sure this does not happen to you follow these guidelines in creating an Effective Home Page.
You need to give your viewers a starting point by answering a few questions they would have:
- Who are you?
- Can I trust you?
- What do you do, sell or make?
- Why are you better than the rest?
- What is in it for me?
An Effective Home Page must:
- Establish an identity, one that is trust worthy and creditable
- Make a good first impression
- Have meaningful graphics and good content that makeyour objectives obvious
- Clear and user friendly navigation
- Site-wide search box
- Fresh content to attract returning visitors
- Provide multiple entry points
- Most important information should be located “above the fold”
- Calls to Action
- Use links and keywords
An effective home page must serve a variety of audiences that come from many different places. By following these guidelines you should create a very effective home page that directs your users to what they are looking for and wanting more information.